Monday, August 20, 2007

How I use the Everun

It's now three weeks after I got hold of the Everun. Slowly I'm beginning to get used to the UMPC concept. As a PDA user I really had to work out a way of combining the two. In my previous blog I talked about the pro's and con's of the pda and the umpc. I use the pda/phone less, and the Everun more, but -at this moment- not so intensive as I probably could. So, what am I doing with this new piece of technology?
- internet tablet in the house: everywhere in my appartment I can enjoy my WiFi connection, but I actually use the Everun the most sitting on the couche, while one eye is pointed at the TV, the other is focussed on the FireFox browser on the Everun.
- on the move: reading an ebook. This works great! I use the Mobireader, and combined with the large screen it is very very usefull.
- on the move: listening to music. Multitasking is not a problem for the Everun, though when you are running something that consumes processing power, like Skype, the system will go slow. But browsing/ebook reading and listening to music is a good combination. The GOM player does it's job.
- on the move: watching movies. Haven't done that a lot, but it can be done. Again, the GOM player handles wmv, divx, xvid and DVD files without any problem, so you can leave the dedicated 'personal media players' like the Archos at home. I do have an Archos GMini 500 with 80gig and use it to backup all my media files and software.
- on the move: typing some small documents, working with data in Excel. Writing an email every now and then. The keyboard is great for little typing, like URL's, password, an email or something like that. I have also tried some on-screen keyboards, like IlliumSoft's Inscribe (which is free). These on-screen kb's do not make me happy, but they get the job done. The one thing I don't like about the Inscibe kb is the lack of visible response when pressing a key. Was that so hard to do? Anyway, it's great being able to open a Word document and read it the way it was intended, without being slimmed down by Pocket Word.

That's about it, and I know, there are more ways to use the Everun, like gaming etc, but so far I can entertain myself during the daily commute, which, sometimes, should be longer because you can do only that much in 30 mins.

No comments: