Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

So here it is, the brand new Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. The first S60 touch screen device!
I've been playing around with it for a few days, and I'm impressed. As you may know, I have been using PDA's and smartphones for years now (started in 1998 up today) so I know all about these clever devices. My latest touch device was the best so far, the HTC Touch Diamond. But now there's a new kid on the block. How about it?



Here are my thought...

I know touch, but I don't know Symbian. Never used it, so as a newby, how does it work out of the box? Well, to be honest, easy. First of all, this is a port from standard S60 to touch S60 (5th edition), aimed at the touch user, and you can feel it. Buttons and option are big and fingerfriendly. Every press results in a little buzz (can be turned off) and pressing the screen is easy. It is a touchscreen, so can also use a stylus.
All in all, navigation around is easy and reasonably logical, although you have to get used to the fact that some settings are hidden at different places.
Main drawback (but after a while you get used to it): normally you have to tap once to activate something, but in lists you must double tap. So it happens that you tap, wait, and then tap again to get something done. Luckily, the navigation is speedy, better than the Diamond (WinMo in general).
Other drawback: I cannot install any software, so, no GoogleMaps, no QuickOffice etc. I'm looking for a solution.
The GPS works ok, you get a quick fix with Nokia Maps. The media stuff is alright, the music player works fine, like the video's and images.

In the next blog I talk about the problems...

No comments: