Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Issues

I have discovered some issues with the 5800 and Nokia software. Most of them are fixed though... I have firmware v11.0.008 and Dutch language.

- single tap vs. double tap: you get used to it, so not really an issue

- unable to install extra software, you get a license expired message: I've spend hours searching for a solution for this problem. Nokia Support told me to change the date back to 2008 or 2007, but that didn't work. So finally I found a solution which worked for me:
(1) backup your device
(2) dial *#7370# code and enter lock code ‘12345'. The device will HARD reset, so you lose everything (contacts, calendar, settings etc)
(3) start the device, and restore the backup.
After this was done, I could install GoogleMaps and other extra software, as it should be!

- sync problems between Windows PC and the 5800. I installed the software on the mini DVD, which include the Ovi Suite. Unfortenately, I could not get it to work. So finally I installed the latest Nokia PC suite. Using that software I was able to sync my Outlook contacts and calendar items, make backups and add music.

- adding music was clumsy (via the PC suite). So I ended up attaching the 5800 as USB drive, and then copying the music to the (preinstalled!) 8GB microSD card. Easy and you don't need all that bullshit software on your pc.

- testing the Nokia Maps app is not possible since I cannot get a proper license. That is, I have a license for Germany/Austria but not for The Netherlands. Although I bought the device in Holland, it comes from Germany I guess. So, it seems impossible to change the license to my country. If anyone knows a workaround? The only solution is to wait for the official release, but even Nokia Netherlands does not known when that is.

- not an issue but...every time I press on the screen a little vibration is felt. You can turn this off, but now you feel you have pressed something. Strangely though, I sometimes think there's something loose in the device because of this buzz.
It's all a matter of getting used to.

Conclusion
Now that I'm able to install extra software, have all my contact etc on my device plus all my music and some movies (wmv format) I'm feeling ok. The Symbian OS feels reliable and is easy to use. In the next weeks I'll do more test and see how it performs as my day to day device.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the buzz when you pressed the screen is called haptic feedback....not a bug